LSU  Museum of Natural ScienceThe LSU Museum of Natural Science was founded in 1936, when its first director, George H. Lowery, Jr., assembled a few study specimens of birds in a classroom in Audubon Hall.  Since its move to Murphy J. Foster Hall in 1950, the museum has continued to expand and is currently one of the nation's largest natural history museums, with holdings of over 2.5 million specimens.  As the only comprehensive research museum in the south-central United States, the LSU Museum of Natural Science fulfills a variety of scientific and educational roles, including  generation of new knowledge in the fields of zoology, archaeology, and paleontology through scholarly research based primarily on natural history collections,  collection and preservation of research specimens as a resource for study of the earth's natural history, education of graduate and undergraduate students in academic areas that are most effectively taught in the museum setting,  education of the public by means of exhibits and lecture programs,  and assistance to local citizens, wildlife officials, and forensic specialists through identification and consultation services.
CONTACT US:
LSU Museum of Natural Science
119 Foster Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone:  225/578-2855
Fax:  225/578-3075
Email : MUSEUM@LSU.EDU
THE MUSEUM'S FLAGSHIP AGENDA